Followers

Sunday 2 March 2008

Rev me up!

Over the last few months I’ve discovered there is a tipping point with Sammie when we’re long lining or riding. My instructor calls it “Getting him to bubble.” It’s not done through antagonising him or being harsh with him in any shape or form, it’s getting him revved up so he is almost doing the next thing before you ask for it.

It’s very hard to explain and I guess it’s different with each horse, but I just know when he’s ready and it’s been a real eye opener for me. It seems to come from using my voice and my body in a certain way. I grow tall and lift myself (whether I’m on the ground or on board) and I encourage him with the tone of my voice. Using the sound of his name seems to have an effect as well.

I feel his body puff up, he grows a bit and I have every bit of his attention. It’s like he’s excited without the distracting side effects that often come with an excited horse.

I first felt it in my early lessons with my new instructor. She kept saying “He’s bubbling, he’s bubbling. Ask him now.” However, instead of going into action, I just sat there wondering what on earth was going on underneath me as I’d never felt anything like it before! It’s a good job my instructor had endless patience in those early days.

And now I think I’ve started to create the same effect while we’re long lining too. It’s only been a couple of sessions but we’ve managed walk to canter in a very controlled fashion. Again, I have to rev him up and his body tells me he’s ready. I’ve known this horse long enough now to know that if he really doesn’t want to do something he won’t, so I guess I must be getting something right.

I don’t think a lot of horses need to go through this stage, but with Sammie it’s like he is agreeing with me, “Yep, I’m ready. I’m warmed up. I know what you want. Let’s do it!” I guess it’s feel, pure and simple. It can’t be timed or processed; it’s just us working together, with Sammie providing the feedback. There’s no force, no punishment – just communication and agreement.

I just wish I’d had somebody to show me all this stuff years ago. Sammie used to be a horse that didn’t really move at all in the school and if he did, it was with the least amount of effort possible. And who can blame him after the life he’d had? Now, a touch of the leg and we’re off. The problem I often have now is slowing him down!

No comments:

Contributors