Followers

Monday 10 November 2008

When is enough, enough?

I keep thinking that it's enough for me when I get to a certain stage with riding Sammie, but then we discover something new. RI is such an inspiration and can spot things a mile off - a tweak here and a nudge there - things you really wouldn't think would make any difference at all, but they do. She kept telling me I had my 'handbrake' on in walk and I really didn't believe her at first. But she was right, I did. Sammie's walk is not the best horsy walk, but it can definitely get better as long as I get my act together.

Anyway, after throwing it all around my head, I've come to the conclusion that Sammie will tell me when enough is enough. He's been very good at that all along, so there's no reason he should be any different with this. I guess this still pretty basic stuff to a lot of people, but then I do doubt that a lot of people get that incredible feeling. The horse is trotting forwards, its head is in the accepted position and it's moving, but there's something so different when they are doing it in this way. It's like riding with a whisper and once Sammie starts listening to the whisper, he really gets it. I guess because he was ruined in his early life he just got used to bangs and shouts instead of whispers, so it really is a matter of him learning to recognise a much softer sound.

No comments:

Contributors