Followers

Sunday 11 January 2009

Speed merchant

Our RI was back today! Watched two lessons and then enter Sammie! Sammie at a fast pony club trot. Sammie who can't possibly walk. Sammie who has to trot and bounce everywhere. Sammie who raced up the school towards RI and stuck his head in the cooler bag to find the treats. He most definitely had the wind up his bottom.

He was very funny, but I did feel as if I was sitting on a sewing machine at times. Eventually I managed to get a wee bit of his attention and then we started working on changing direction and generally moving him around to get him focused a bit.

We were a bit rusty so we worked on the walk and the trot, getting the aids more subtle again. By the end I didn't have to do anything with my legs, he trotted if I lifted the front of my pelvis up a bit - 'taking the handbrake off' our RI calls that. Then we worked on flexion and getting me straighter. By the end Sammie was Mr Bendy - any which way we chose to go. At the very end we did a bit of canter and it was so much lighter at the front. You just can't rush these things or force them but when you've got it, you really feel that you've got it.

No comments:

Contributors