Followers

Tuesday 24 June 2008

The deed is done

Both shoes are off and now we are in the lap of the Gods. I haven't been able to eat or think straight all day. Fortunately I was busy at work, but it still didn't stop my stomach churning every time it crossed my mind.

The vet phoned me this morning and said she could totally understand where I was coming from. She thought we'd done brilliantly to get as far as we have, considering the type of horse Sammie is, and said that you really do have to call it a day when you feel at risk for yourself and others. I ran through what we were planning to do and she had nothing to add. She said only time would tell and that she knows I will be taking every precaution I can.

So we all met up at 5pm today and Sammie was such a good boy for his injection. No snarling, just a couple of stamps of the foot. Even the vet was amazed by how much better he was as she hasn't given him an injection for over a year now. He went into 'hardly standing' mode in no time at all. YM took one look at me and asked if I'd like her to hold Sammie's feet. I was so grateful as I think I'd lost my bottle a bit. She did a brilliant job and the farrier did his job as quick as he could.

My vet was so nice about it all and said it was a shame, but you do have to be realistic. She said Sammie's looking so good and that his feet are looking so much better (including his fronts) - you should never say never.

Then our farrier took me through some photos of barefoot feet in his Pete Ramey book and told me to study them in the copy I've got at home. He also gave me a rasp to keep Sammie familiar with the process - not doing anything drastic just neatening up if I want to and we've booked our next appointment for July. Such a nice man - I can't believe how lucky I was to find him.

So we left Sammie in his box to sleep it off a bit, and then I brought him out to get the hoof hardener on. I did it on my own and he was as good as gold. By the time all the jobs had been done he was back with us so he went out to the field looking a wee bit sleepy but awake enough to take care of himself.

YM is going to bring him down and take him up to the field on his own for the next few days so she can control where he's walking and just go at the speed he wants to go.

Who knows what will happen next and where we will be this time next year. All I know is that I really have done my best and I will continue to do so.

No comments:

Contributors