Followers

Friday 27 June 2008

Hoof watch

I arrived at the yard today and I was greeted by YM who was very keen to show me some photos she'd taken of Sammie on her phone. She said he'd had one almighty rolling session and when he eventually got up he had a huge pile of straw hanging around his head. She was laughing so much she couldn't even keep the camera still enough, but did manage a couple of shots (when he'd lost a bit of the straw). He did look a bit of a sight I have to admit! Poor boy, having people laugh at him like that.

I took him into the school today. We long lined down there and went walking right around the edge of the school with my eyes firmly fixed on those hinds. He didn't look too bad at all. I didn't want him to trot too much but I did want to test if he would go into trot if asked (as this was a stalling point when our trouble started last time) He was very happy to go into trot on each rein so that was enough for me.

Then he demanded that we play 'Spanish Stamp' but this time he remembered that he also had to try to keep walking forwards at the same time. It all looks a bit clumsy but he's definitely getting the hang of it. Then he got over excited again and ended up doing a sort of bow with both legs out in front of him and he was determined to remain in that position until he got a treat. Bless him, that was after just one session with our RI and for some reason he really seems to enjoy it - not sure why at all but he gets very excited and busy!

Then I noticed that he had a swollen lower lip (just on the left side) I thought he was being a bit odd about the way he was taking the pony nuts, but then I realised that it was quite swollen. It wasn't causing him any sort of pain (I'd have know if it was!) and we reckon it could be a wasp sting or something like that. Poor boy. It's We're going to see how it goes over the next couple of days.

He did the same thing in the field today - I put him out first and YM brought up his field mates a bit later. As soon as he caught sight of him he took off at a blasting canter right down the length of the field. Monkey!

As you know, if we are going to have trouble, then it does take time to brew, but at least he's coping at the moment, doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and he still seems willing to do a bit of work (as long as it includes the 'Spanish Stamp'!) I just hope that lip doesn't get any worse. There's always something to worry about isn't there?

No comments:

Contributors