Followers

Wednesday 25 June 2008

Feet feat

I'm relieved the thing is done now because I was absolutely dreading it, but I can't quite stop the worrying. I'm mainly in control, but then there are those stomach churning moments when I think too much.

I had to work the next day, which meant leaving without seeing Sammie first to satisfy myself that he had survived the night. Course he had, and I knew it in my heart, but still, there is that compulsion to check. So I sent a text asking my YM if the boy was ok. I knew I was asking for it. She said both his feet had fallen off in the night but they had managed to glue them back on, followed up with yes, he was fine and seemed to be striding out boldly across the field. He'd had a pretty calm and restful day in his stable as well.

He was pleased to see me today and I took him out to give his feet a clean and check. Not sure what I'm looking for but just feel the need to do it. He was well behaved as usual - lifting each foot before I even asked for it. My farrier had advised me to keep them as dry as possible and just brush anything off rather than go in there with water or anything.

Sammie still seemed a little post-sedation sleepy to me but soon woke up when he sensed dinner was on the way and gobbled the whole lot up - that's always a good sign for Sammie. I took him up to the field on his own while his field mates were finishing off there feed and he seemed ok. To me he just seems a little unsure, but I guess it must be a bit of an odd feeling after having shoes on.

The hoof hardener goes on again tomorrow and then on Friday I think I might take him down to the school and just walk around on the long lines. I know I won't be able to take my eyes off those hind feet but I keep telling myself that if there are going to be problems they won't manifest immediately anyway.

So yes, I'm very, very relieved that bit is over, but the next few months are going to be a testing time in more ways than one.

I think one thing that Sammie does know is that he is loved - warts and all. He had a five year old feeding him Polos the other day and YM said that even when Sammie was pulling a few faces, the little boy wasn't scared one little bit. Other people on the yard are always so honoured when Sammie decides that he'll talk to them. I always hear reports of "Oh he actually let me hug him today" and "Oh he was so sweet today, he just let me stroke his face forever."

You see, Sammie is well aware of this 'Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen' technique - I think it must be an Irish thing.

No comments:

Contributors