Followers

Friday 11 July 2008

Hard hooves, soft heart?

We haven't had any rain here today (yet) so I rode Sammie in the school and once again he gobsmacked me slightly. It was in the morning so he was a wee bit sleepy but once we got shifting he was lovely. He even did his slightly extended (or opened up) trot (the one that nearly bounces me out of the saddle) down the long side and he just felt so willing to do it.

Then I thought we'd try the canter and again, he did just as I asked - trot to canter for a few strides, back to trot, back to walk and then walk to canter. We did it a few times and he responded really well. I think I'm sitting to the canter a bit better as well. Probably because he is more 'up' when he goes into canter and we stop before I lose the plot! We were in there for about 45 minutes including warm up and stretching out at the end.

YM suggested we try taking him out for a very short (40 min) hack next week some time on the easy smooth tracks, just to see how he goes. If he looks or feels dodgy I can get off and walk and it will be good to have someone there to keep an eye on him as well. Farrier advised to just gradually build up the work and exposure to different surfaces during the first month, so that sounds like a good plan. I just put a wee bit of the hoof hardener today before turning him out as I don't want all this wet weather to mess with his feet - I'm probably being over protective, but I think I'm entitled to be

No comments:

Contributors