Followers

Thursday 31 July 2008

Backs off, so back off!

The farrier had pronounced that Sammie's hinds are looking good and he's doing a fine job of keeping them in trim himself. He said it must be a mixture of the type of work and the sand in the school giving them a bit of a manicure, like a nature emery board!

He said the shape was pretty good although the right does have a slight flare (he's always had this but it used to be a lot worse) . I was pretty pleased because I said what I thought needed doing and the farrier agreed; that was the right outside heel.

However Sammie, whilst absolutely foot perfect with the fronts, was a monkey with the hinds. Not so bad with the left, but the right got too much for him. Part of me was concerned that maybe he's feeling pain in his left so he doesn't want to put more weight on it. But then I've seen him rest both equally and as YM said, he's still stepping through nicely. I'm going to give him a day and then have another go myself. Our farrier talked me through exactly what to do and said to call him if I needed any advice.

I think this is the best way forward - just Sammie and me. Always has been and always will be I guess! As the farrier said, the feet really didn't need anything doing to them; a lot of it would be purely cosmetic. But he would feel totally happy if that right heel just had a bit taken off it and that's doable when I get Sammie on his own.

If I do a little bit every day, "a couple of strokes a day" as the farrier advised, I'll have it under control. Ok, they don't look as pretty as they could but who cares? I know we're not out of the woods yet and we've got a long way to go but I feel happy that I know what I'm looking at.

My other theory at the moment - a gut instinct really - is that the Sedalin might actually be making him worse with his hinds. I think the if he happens to be feeling extra vulnerable that day for some reason, the Sedalin just heightens that feeling. He wouldn't even accept YM picking up the right foot today and she picks his feet out every day without a problem.

So next time, farrier will do the fronts without Sedalin (Sammie will be fine) and he can advise me on the hinds. Blimey, I never thought I'd be learning how to do things like this! I tell you, if I ever got another horse I would have this farrier look after its feet like a shot. He is just so patient and so keen for me to succeed.

We might meet a problem in one or two, three or four months time, but at least I know I'm doing my best under the circumstances and Sammie will hopefully be happier about the whole thing too. I've got to go back to little steps on this one.

We've a new arrival on the yard: a miniature shetland! She's just 6hh. I arrived at the yard today to find YM and farmer giving her a bath. What a cutie with the smallest hooves you've ever seen. She's been known to sit on the back seat of the farmer's truck, she's been in the lounge at the cottage and she's even sat on the sofa. Nothing scares that wee little thing at all. She's full of confidence and is as bright as a button. She's got her own little trap, too.

I brought Sammie round to get him ready for riding and he really couldn't work out what she was. She obviously smelt like horse but I don't think he'd ever seen one so small. Talk about little and large. Daisy wasn't put off at all when Sammie walked up to her. She stood her ground and carried on munching her hay. Not bothered in the least.

No comments:

Contributors