Followers

Monday 7 July 2008

Striding forward

Sammie did some long lining yesterday, so we went for a tarmac walk in hand today - making sure his head was out in front at all times. He really does worry when he's out there and keeps glancing back to make sure I'm still there. Poor lad, you can see it written all over his face, but he keeps going and that's the main thing.

I found my 2006 diary while I was sorting out a mound of paperwork the other day. I shouldn't have looked, but I couldn't help myself. He went barefoot on the hinds at the end of March 2006 and by July we had a right hind problem followed swiftly by the left hind kicking off again with that same horrible lump thing between the coronet and fetlock. So that's around three months after the shoes coming off, which is roughly as I remembered it.

However, he had been unlevel for about 2/3 months prior to that with only one shoe and a plate on the left hind (putting extra stress on the right hind I guess) so that might have been why the right hoof had a problem. Lord knows why the left hind kicked off again; maybe it was taking the shoe off, maybe the foot wasn't in good enough shape to cope. Aaargh! Who knows?

I keep trying to work it all out in my head, but it's pointless. Only time will tell and I have to just deal with the now. And for now he's looking fine, not pottery at all.

No comments:

Contributors