Followers

Friday 4 July 2008

Hoof OCD?

It's now official - I have become obsessed with hooves again. I've been reading my Pete Ramey book all over again and I've been inspected the feet of other horses on the yard. Yikes - I don't like the look of some of 'em I can tell you.

I had a go at a wee bit of rasping today with Sammie. He was as good as gold but I just can't hold those heavy old legs up for too long. At least he accepted me doing it. In fact he couldn't have looked less bothered if he tried. I just took off some of the rough bits that the nail holes had left.

We did some long lining and H (with her two dogs) was riding in the school at the same time. I knew Sammie looked ok but just wanted to check, and she also said he was looking just fine in walk and trot. I watched him going over the gravelly bits today and there wasn't the slightest hesitation.

I know I'm obsessed, but it's also made me realise that even though the farrier could never do the complete job he wanted to do on Sammie's hinds, he's managed to get them in far better shape than the previous guy ever could, even with Sammie under vet sedation. That really is quite amazing.

Sammie has a new neighbour, a big and beautiful bay with a great sense of fun. He's come to us on holiday before, but now he's come back to stay. He was in a dressage institution before so I'm sure his life is going to improve dramatically now. Sammie kept squealing and then the new boy decided that all the rugs hanging between them had to be pulled off the rails for closer inspection, nearly giving poor Sammie a mild heart attack.

No comments:

Contributors