Followers

Sunday 12 October 2008

Gold star for Sammie!

Sammie got gold stars today for all his effort and his slight (very slight) weight loss. RI noticed straight away and asked what I'd been doing. Six out of 7 days exercise that's what's done it and those hacks with K and YM. I'm not sure I can keep it up, but it's good to know that it's made some difference!

Oh and the effort Sammie put in despite it being like a day in August weather-wise, and the fact that he is now wearing part of his thick winter coat. He listens so much now and if I do the slightest (very slightest) lean forwards he goes all flat or simply stops. If I get into an odd position to start off with a bit of a tense seat, he won't go. Lift my seat, sit back, ride uphill and off he'll go. Any bit of tension in the seat or legs and Sammie rightly interprets that means slower or stop. I've just got to get more control of my body!

The other thing I need to control is looking up, up, up! It makes such a heck of a difference but I'm finding it so hard to kick the looking down habit. Aaargh it drives me mad! But RI said if that's the only thing she's really got to tweak now then she's a happy woman. My legs can still wander and bobble a bit, but it's all just practice and discipline.

We worked on elevating the trot and canter today - purely working from the seat and legs and letting him practically carry himself on the front end. Sitting trot was a dream once he was really working from behind. RI wanted him slow, steady, 'up' and using his hocks. She knows he's quite a bouncy boy and said that at this pace he'll still be using himself correctly while I get more to grips with sitting - which is so much better but there's still room for improvement (as with everything). My legs just felt so relaxed, I didn't need to use them at all so they just hung there. Then we worked on a few strides of canter, back to sitting trot for a few strides and back up to canter. Towards the end I could really feel him 'sitting down' at the back end and it's such a wonderful, powerful feeling. It's like he's skipping into canter if that makes sense and it feels like he's really dancing - just wonderful when you get it!! I don't get it that often but at least I know what I'm aiming for now.

There was a pole on the floor of the school so we went over that a few times as well. A bit sticky, but we got there (with a bit of chocolate cornflake when he did it) RI reckons that the thing he's most afraid of is being jabbed in the mouth afterwards and that's why he always wants to rush off with his head in the air. It makes sense!

So my big orange boy was a superstar. He was very, very hot by the end so all tack was removed in the school (I'd taken his headcollar with me) and he had his treats from RI (he knows exactly where she keeps them now!) RI said it really showed that I'd been putting the work in and repeated again just how far I'd come. But I know I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't have Sammie's willingness. I still can't believe it when we just seem to pop up into canter - it really is all about feel which was always such a mystery to me.

I gave Sammie a good old shower before taking him back to the field. Sammie did his click and treat stretches and then went off in search of a good rolling patch. He went right over twice so his back must be fine - he was grunting with joy the whole time he was down. I went back to the yard later to get the monkeys in (we gave them extra time out as they'd been in for a couple of hours today for the lessons) and then after supper we had a quick practice with the clippers. I was prepared for Sammie to be a bit scared, but after a brief introduction (with clicks and treats) we were off and he was perfectly calm - so he didn't forget what he learned last year. Why on earth did people ever dope him (by injection) for that? It just took a bit of time and patience. I only did a bit but I should have it done by the end of the week. Still don't really like it, but I'd rather that than him getting a chill. He also gets so itchy with all the sweat and hair so it can't be pleasant for him at all

No comments:

Contributors