Followers

Wednesday 8 October 2008

Sammie Says "No!"

I knew Sammie was in a bit of a funny mood this morning when I went to muck him out. Nothing satisfied him. He wasn't unhappy, just a bit 'up himself'. YM commented that he was being very demanding and she was right.

I got back to the yard after work and all the horses were in except Sammie. Mild panic set in -he's lame, he's injured - all the normal stuff. That was until K started to tell me what a monkey he'd been today. First of all he would not come in from the field for the dentist. They'd been out for a couple of hours but Sammie decided that just wasn't good enough. K got the other two orange ones in, but Sammie was having none of it. He'd come over and as K went to put the headcollar on he turned on his heel and shot off pulling his scariest face. After several attempts K gave up so YM went up there to find Sammie prancing around.

He did the same thing with her -'catch me if you can' but YM knows Sammie better than K and one growl and a 'big body' seemed to do it after he'd done a couple of turns to show her his backside before trotting off with his tail in the air. He had no problems with his teeth so after all three had been done they were put back out in the field again.

Then he did exactly the same thing when they went to get them in at the end of the day. He was really playing up this time though and trying to get his orange cohorts to join in, which they did for a while but then their tummies got the better of them. So YM decided to take the other two and leave Sammie to it.



She was back up there trying to get him in when I arrived. I walked to the gate and she was walking down the hill having a 'serious discussion' with Sammie and telling him what a naughty boy he was. Sammie was just strolling along with a very innocent "Who, me?" look on his face.



What a monkey! YM reckons he's feeling a little too well!

We did some long lining after that and he was a very good boy even though he was a little too keen to canter! Supper went down in a flash and I left him tucking into his hay. I said some time ago that I sensed his character seemed to be coming through more and more this year and I think I'm right. To be honest I quite like it when he's a bit naughty - it shows me that he feels he can misbehave a bit without receiving more than a growl as a reprimand.

No comments:

Contributors